Sunday 25 January 2015

The KISS Chosen One 2015!!!

It's been a while since I've updated my blog, and as much as I'd like to blame university for my week long hiatus (since assignments is a valid reason for my lack of updates), I believe my compulsive viewing of Celebrity Big Brother, The Chase and jamming out to music whilst eating flapjacks are more to blame for this (yes, I love flapjacks).

Anyhow, thanks to my flat mate, I found out about this great opportunity a week or so ago to audition for KissFMUK's competition the 'KISS Chosen One' which is the radio station's search for the next radio presenter. With me currently studying Music Technology and Radio Broadcasting, it sounded like a great opportunity to gain experience for essentially auditioning for a job, whilst hopefully meeting some of the KISS Presenters and a nice day out at the ever so classy Westfield London, where the auditions took place.

I guess the whole thing didn't actually seem real to me until we were actually in the queue which had already started to form despite it only being half nine in the morning (god knows how I got up so early for this). The audition process started at ten which meant at least another half hour wait, where the self doubt started to kick in as I observed the competition around me. Not going to lie, I began to feel out of place as I soaked in the confidence radiating from the other contestants posture and unique look or sense of style that was bound to make them stand out from the crowd. I felt plain in comparison, wishing I had dressed up in some sort of fancy outfit instead of wearing the coat I wear everyday with a wonky hood.

The queue moved quickly once everything started to get in to gear and I could feel the nerves stir within me, but I was actually feeling fine about the whole thing. We were given some cards with a script that we had to read to one of the producers, but not before another long wait which seemed to go on forever. I think it was at this time that I saw one of the KISS Presenters, Melvin in the glass booth which was when my nerves settled in. I think it was just the thought of standing opposite Melvin and auditioning in front of him that got me nervous, but all I could do at this time was practice my script until it was time to read it out for a producer.

I somehow got through the producer stage and onto the next. Another long wait. And then the final stage before the final audition. The finale!

I had a great experience and I am very glad that I went along, even though the competition had me doubting myself. I met some great people who I'd gone through the process with. It was nice that I could talk with people, kind of helping one another in a way because we were all there for the same thing. A definite confidence boost!

No comments:

Post a Comment