Thursday 18 June 2015

Shenmue 3 Finally being made after 14 years!!!


Excuse me while I go fan girl in the corner in the same way teenage girls fan over their favourite boy bands. When I first heard the news I was disbelieving of what I had just read. I had to read multiple sources on google just to get confirmation that what I was reading wasn't some sort of fabrication, or simply just a misleading title to get traffic for the website in question. After reading more than one source, I could actually allow myself to get a little excited.
Surely I am not the only one, as the Shenmue franchise is a much loved game with a dedicated core of fans. Fans that have been campaigning for years for the epic tale of main character Ryo Hazuki to continue on so that we could reach a gradual conclusion. Will Ryo Hazuki finally find Lan Di and gain the revenge he had worked so hard to act upon thus far? I was certainly keen to find out how the story unravelled and was meant to end. Therefore I was as eager as many fans for Shenmue 3 to come into fruition. I had to admit that somewhere along the line I had accepted the fact that it just wasn't going to happen, but here we are!

Before I go on, I'll recap a little bit of the story for those that may otherwise be unfamiliar. In the simplest of terms, Ryo Hazuki, the 18 year old protagonist of the story witnesses his Father, Iwao Hazuki being murdered by a man called Lan Di at their residence. A dragon mirror is stolen and thus begins a story of revenge as Ryo Hazuki seeks the man who killed his Father. And questions. Many questions that get asked by Ryo to random citizens of the streets to help him come another step closer to finding the man in which he seeks.

At the time of being made, Shenmue had been one of the most expensive games of it's time, costing a hefty 70 million to make. Unfortunately, the game did not profit and went bust. This alone was enough reason to believe another game in the series would never be made.

So how did this come about? Kickstarter. To help fund the next Shenmue, a Kickstarter was put in place after a sony show and in record time reached their funding goal of $2 Million. In addition to this, it seems that Sony is also actually helping to fund the game. It will be very interesting to see how this develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment