Wednesday 3 June 2015

BGT 'Stunt Dog' Controversy - Stunt Dog used in winning Jules and Matisse Act!

Jules' dog Chase, used to walk the ropes
So, if you have watched or paid any attention to this year's Britain's Got Talent, then you will know that the winners this year turned out to be dog act Jules O'Dwyer and Matisse. This is the second time a dog act has won the show since Ashley and Pudsey back in 2012.
Due to the lack of a TV, I hadn't really been able to catch up on a lot of the acts this year (sad face). However, after seeing the buzz over Jules, her adorable border collie Matisse, and three legged dog Skippy unexpectedly brought out in the act's finale, I had to admit I was taken away by how disciplined and trained Jules' dog Matisse was.
I watched back to their first audition and their semi finale performance where Jules' dog Chase was introduced and I liked the fact that she brought out other dogs she owned,. It brought a new depth to the performance that possibly topped Ashley and Pudsey's. Skippy and Chase were not a huge part of the acts they featured in but in what little we saw of them, they also seemed to be disciplined and trained. This is something I imagine to be a difficult feat, since many dog acts have passed through the Britain's Got Talent auditions and failed, due to the lack of following their owner's instructions. How cute was it that the storyline of Jules and Matisse's final performance was that he stole the sausage from the butchers shop for little Skippy? (If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch the performance here!) That final moment had me a little emotional on the brink of actual tears! Tears of joy and admiration for Matisse, of course.



There has been an outrage due to the audience being misled into thinking that it was Matisse that had been walking the tight rope, when all along it was Jules' dog Chase walking along the two ropes. I guess this has led some to believe that the act is underserving of their win, or that they were misled into voting for what they thought was an entirely genuine performance.
My verdict on this is simple. If a professional stunt dog had been brought in that Jules didn't know of personally then I would definitely have a problem but Chase is Jules own dog that she trained. Chase had already been introduced in the semi finale performance, so it wasn't like she was hiding him. While being called Jules and Matisse, I get the impression that their act is more of a Jules and Matisse, ft Matisse's dog friends after she brought out Chase and Skippy in their own separate performances. I may actually be biased concerning Matisse since I think he is adorable, but I think the act is totally deserving of their win. That is my verdict!

No comments:

Post a Comment