Wednesday 18 May 2016

Baby Ear Piercings - Right Or Wrong?

This is one of those debatable topics about whether or not you believe it's okay for a baby to have their ears pierced.

More than 41,000 people signed a petition to ban baby ear piercings, believing that it was a form of child cruelty. They weren't alone in thinking this. Dr Christian of 'Embarrassing Bodies' fame, tweeted 'NO, IT IS CHILD ABUSE,' in response to the question.

Is it a form of child abuse? I mean, a baby cannot make the choice of whether or not they want their ears pierced. Rather, it is a decision made by their parent or parents. A baby may experience pain in the name of fashion, culture and vanity which is considered unnecessary by others. A baby also cannot look after their ear piercings. They may catch an ear infection, or cause damage to their ear lobes by ripping earrings out of their ears. It's understandable that people may be against the practice.

Personally, I had my ears pierced at a few months old. I cannot relate to those that say baby piercings are a form of child abuse. I have no recollection of getting my ears pierced. In fact, I do not remember most of my younger years. On reflection, I am actually glad that I got my ears pierced at an age where I cannot remember getting them. I think I would have been too scared to get them at a teenage age. Even now, I would love to get piercings at the top of my ears but I have delayed getting them for years because I am afraid of the pain I might feel.

I do not want to go into detail of child abuse, but it is a subject I will touch upon. Child abuse is a traumatic experience that I imagine will affect a child going on into their adult and teenage years. I cannot imagine ear piercings to create the same effect. Maybe I am wrong. I have not had a bad experience from my ear piercings as a baby, but perhaps there have been others who have.

What do you think? Are you against it? For? Neutral? Let me know!

Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment